Sunday, December 11, 2011

David Mejia

Name: David Mejia
Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mejia-Arts/122796911150958?ref=ts

What do you do?
I love to paint watercolor portraits of people. I write, draw and publish my own web comic called “BALLMAN”, and contribute artwork to local galleries. I will often draw portraits for people at the MejiaArts booth at local arts and crafts venues.

Where can we find your work?
You can email me at mejiaarts@yahoo.com. ‘Ballman’ appeared online at www.drunkduck.com/BALLMAN/. My latest art pieces are on display at Kaleid Gallery 88 So. Fourth Street, San Jose, Ca. My work can also be viewed on Facebook www.facebook.com/pages/Mejia-Arts

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
I have a relentless passion for drawing, which keeps me working, even on bad days.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
The process is the most important part. My mind must be balanced and fluid.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
My uncle who is also an artist inspired me, initially. My mother and grandparents always encouraged me. Today, my wife encourages me. I was also inspired by notables like Charles Schultz, of Snoopy fame, Joseph Campbell, who studied mythology, and Jim Morrison, the Lizard king.

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
If I could be any fictional character I would be Clint Eastwood character from the Spaghetti Westerns, because he always cool and focused.

When do you get your best ideas?
My best ideas come when I’m alone

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
I use simple mechanical pencils, paintbrush, and paper, watercolors, micron pens and calligraphy pens. Some times I’ll use the computer.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
I took some school for art, however, I’m mostly self taught. This has made me strong in some areas like tribal designs, and rendering what I see, but not in things like oil painting, or silk screening.

What would your creative work taste like?
If you could eat my work, it would taste like ink and wood pulp.

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
I love hiking, dancing, philosophizing with friends, making fun of movies, and reading.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
I learned to access my creative talents by isolating myself from the big confusing world, putting on my favorite music and drawing, drawing, drawing, for years. I’ve gained confidence at drawing for the public by making myself draw at parks and coffee houses.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
My advice to anyone starting out in art is, “To hell with other peoples' opinions. Draw what you want.”



Jade Empress


No comments:

Post a Comment