Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tim van den Berg / Session Kat Photography

Name: Tim van den Berg / Session Kat Photography
Website:
www.sessionkat.com, http://www.facebook.com/SessionKatPhotography

What do you do?
I am a semi-professional photographer, concentrating in humanity and juxtapostioning
human-situations, youth sports, and natural subjects.

Where can we find your work?
Various coffee shops, nightclubs, and my website: www.sessionkat.com

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
My creativity energy is typically spontaneous. With camera nearby, moments can be captured. I always look with the eye of a camera and many times log ideas and locales for a return visit. When I struggle for inspiration, I have learned to relax and not worry over output. There is always potential to create. Patience and foresight may be the only vehicle sometimes. When the time is right, it will be apparent to capture and complete.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
Content is 90%. Technique chiefly important, but it is the subject that speaks. Technical proficiency is judged. A human expression, and cloud’s pattern is viewed.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
Edward Hopper. Jim Brandenburg. Clark Little.

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
A time-traveler.

When do you get your best ideas?
When I see them.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Nikon 18-200mm lens. Aperture v3 software.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
I’ve taught myself fundamental rules of photography. Trial and error my forte’, which I find forces me to work harder at capturing an effective subject and content. Composition driving the finished product. Know enough to know what to do, and what to not do.

What would your creative work taste like?
The buffet at Fresh Choice.

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Play with my kids, volunteer at schools, and express sarcasm towards pop culture and contemporary news media.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
I’m still learning. Accessing my talents is up to me. It is a choice. It is work. Sometimes easy and impulsive, other times a drudgery. My Facebook fans have built my confidence tremendously as I’m now inspiring people from around the world, between ages of 10 – 100.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
Just do it, and do it some more. Study art from the past. Never throw ANY works away. Give your art to others. Believe in yourself. Love your mistakes.



Safe and Sound

No comments:

Post a Comment