Sunday, May 13, 2012

Vida Killz

Name:  Vida Killz
Website: www.vidakillz.com
               www.organizedthreat.com
What do you do?
I am a poet/emcee, an audio engineer, producer, and a photographer.

Where can we find your work?
Last year I wrote/recorded and released an EP every month, the site for those albums is: www.vidakillzepproject.bandcamp.com

I also post music/beats/remixes monthly on my soundcloud:
www.soundcloud.com/vidakillz

random older music:
www.vidakillz.bandcamp.com
Youtube here:
www.youtube.com/vidakillz

My photography blog (still working on it)
www.creatingmicultura.tumblr.com

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
My main artistic expression, poetry, is typically created through tough times. I tend to write through tough times therefore writing acts as a sort of motivation. In high school I learned of stream of consciousness writing which is what the majority of my poems are and I have found that I birth the best pieces when from emotionally charged situations.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
I think they all play a significant piece in creation. I base the importance of each per project, whether it be a song, photo, beat, etc. Some songs I chose to record with my SM57, to give the song a more raw feel and typically to match a raw subject matter. Other songs I record with my condenser microphone for a more polished sound and feel.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
One of my number one influences is my best friend and partner. She’s inspired numerous of my poems and songs. Aside from that, my main inspirations can range from the wind to a conversation with a stranger. I like to think that inspiration has no restrictions.

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
The Owl, Hedwig.

When do you get your best ideas?
My best ideas come after intense thought meditation sessions.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
I use a lot of different materials and tools, the main are: pen, microphone, computer and camera.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
I am self taught on most of my avenues of creation. I am working on my music technology degree, which definitely benefits my output with mixing and mastering. I think both of which have influenced my work, for the better. I’ve been able to create without any pressure of a structure to follow, which at times allows my art to be very odd, yet raw. I enjoy it though.

What would your creative work taste like?
Funfetti Cake with vanilla frosting.

 When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Enrich my mind, by doing homework, reading, watching movies, conversing.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
Honestly, writing was an escape from a lot of negative thinking I was having in which I felt that I didn’t have anyone to talk to about. So after feeling overwhelmed for a bit, I decided to pick up a pen and I haven’t turned back. Being comfortable with performing came with time. Sharing via online or in person was just something that came with the territory. I feel that my music is how I communicate with people and how I feel most connected, therefore, if I do not share I end up feeling detached from reality.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
Persevere and never apologize for what you create. 


2 comments:

  1. By first focusing on the primary necessities, the process of analyzing the many audio engineering schools is facilitated tremendously. With so many schools in the United States, and worldwide, its easy to be overwhelmed, and thus, its very important to eliminate those that you'd never be able to attend in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought it may be an idea to post incase anyone else was having problems researching but I am a little unsure if I am allowed to put names and addresses on here. audio production schools

    ReplyDelete