Sunday, November 11, 2012

Andrew Marchbank


Name: Andrew Marchbank
Website: www.2elevated.com

What do you do?
I am a young aspiring artist with a focus in graphic design, painting, drawing and running my clothing brand; 2elevated. 

Where can we find your work?
www.youtube.com/user/IITHINKII

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
I am inspired by the things I see everyday from packaging on wrappers to formations in nature. I am particularly motivated to design for my clothing brand. Everyone’s individual style is expressed in what we wear everyday out into the world. I want to make clothes that express my style and will inspire people to care about what they wear. I have huge ambitions and have always been very self motivated. It is my goals I have set for myself that motivate me. The level of success that I have planned for my brand and myself require me to think big and to work hard at what I do. There is no time to stop when things get tough.

When and how did you first become interested in creating? How long have you been doing it?
I have always had a desire to draw even as a young kid. Things went to a different level for me when my parents gave me a book on San Francisco graffiti for Christmas in 2008. I immediately fell in love with the different styles and color combinations that made up these cool urban works of art. I was intrigued by the edgy artistic expression and the diverse nature of graffiti. I learned everything I could from YouTube videos and books. Graffiti lead me to drawing with a bigger purpose and eventually moving on to more elaborate paintings using oils and acrylics on canvas. From there I launched my brand 2elevated in 2010. I’m a young artist with confidence but humble enough to know that I have a lot to learn and am excited about my future.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?  
Both are important however I am more about the content/finished product. I enjoy the process, yet at times I get frustrated, as I am incredibly impatient with my work. I tend toward clean lines and clear messages in my graphic design. My paintings and drawings have a bit more leeway as some of my creations are very imaginative and can be “busy”.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
Well my favorite artists are Greg Simkins, Alex Pardee, and James Haunt. These artists are extremely unique with their style. Their level of creativity inspires me to dig deep to find my own unique style and creative expression. Scott Sasso (10 Deep), Nick Tershay (Diamond Supply Co.), Jonas Bevacqua (LRG), Ryan Mante and Christian Lilleland (Breezy Excursion), all inspire me with their brands and how they created something so wonderful and passionate out of nothing. I can only hope to reach their level of success.

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Tony Stark, a.k.a. Ironman. Just cause who doesn’t want to fly around in a metal suit and fight crime?

When do you get your best ideas?
In class mostly. In fact it was in my sophomore English class where I created the first 2elevated logo and everything developed from there. Doodling on the sides of assignments and back of worksheets is where some of my best ideas are formed. 

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
My macbook is probably the tool I use the most. From Cinema 4D to photoshop and illustrator I use it for all my graphic design needs.  

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
For graphic design I am self-taught. I started to first work on Photoshop a couple years ago messing around with effects and trying to make logos. Later I started to use illustrator and by looking up tutorials online and through trial and error I have made all the logos for 2elevated, our website, and other local companies. By doing it this way it forced me to find out new things on my own to better develop my style. As for drawing and painting I had two art classes in high school so I got to learn more about colors, values, and more concrete things like that in a traditional way. However, I hate drawing still life and boring things for assignments even though I know they will make me a better artist in the long run. 

What would your creative work taste like?
I would assume like a pear because I like the finished product to be crisp with clean lines. I am also a perfectionist and that can be both a good and bad thing, but it makes my creations come out as clean and solid as possible, like a pear. 

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Spend time with my friends mostly. Going to the beach, movies, barbeques, parties, or any other social gatherings. I also enjoy snowboarding and biking.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
Once I started creating and getting positive feedback my confidence reached a new level and so did my art. Whenever I get a complement on my art or clothing designs it pushes me to continue to create and share with more people. My confidence comes from the people around me and I cant thank them enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment