Monday, August 10, 2015

Patrick Hofmeister

Website: www.WADL1.com



What do you do?
I am a multimedia artist working mostly with paint and I enjoy experimenting with different sculpting materials. I work on large scale murals as well as higher detail works on canvas or wood in my studio.

Where can we find your work?
You can find my work online or by visiting my studio.

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
I do a lot of introspective thinking. I’m learning about myself and the way I deal with the world around me. Learned behaviors and conditioned thinking can govern peoples emotions and how they interact with the environment around them. This is my current focus and what is inspiring me to make visual representations. When I’m going through a tough time, creatively or otherwise, I turn my focus to my other passion, dance. It’s a way to get instant gratification. The joy I get from being in the moment and fully letting go is like no other. I try not to force anything creatively but to remain in motion at the same time. If all I feel like doing is squiggle lines and doodling then that’s what I do, without judgment of what I create. I dance the same way, without judgment of how I want to move. Staying open to whatever comes to mind has been the best tool for me. It’s when I start to tell myself that something should be done a certain way that I tend to get stuck.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or  technique/process?
I believe all four of these are very important. They go hand and hand. But to answer your question I would say content and finished product. What is the work about and did I execute the work to the best of my ability? These are the two questions that drive me when creating. Technique and process are variables and are at the mercy of what you are trying to get across and how far you want to push it.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
This list has changed so many times over the years. Right now, my wife Desiree has got to be at the top of this list. She is the most insightful person in my life. M.C. Escher has long been one of my heroes along with Todd Schorr, Mars1, Greg Simkins, H.R. Giger, Mike Giant and Robert Williams just to name a few. There are so many artists that have influenced me over the years. When I see that I’m falling too close to someone’s style (because I’m still a fan and love to geek out on someones work), I will usually cut that visual influence out of my life to help keep myself balanced. Being such a visual person and my love for art I can easily get caught up in someone else’s work, trying to wrap my head around it.

What is the most incredible art moment for you so far?
That’s a big question. But I would have to say my participation in the group show “Spiral” at the Triton Museum of Art in Santa Clara. It had so many firsts for me. I was blessed to have been a part of that show and to have been able to work so closely with the staff at the Triton. Really great people. I put so much work into that show and the concepts behind it. To be able to see the response I received from that was the greatest reward I’ve had.

When do you get your best ideas?
When I’m just coming out of a funk or a dry spell. This is when I run with an idea the hardest and get really ambitious. I’m still not totally sure why but I’ve been noticing the pattern. That and if I’m under a great amount of pressure. I’ve had some gems this way too.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Acrylic and spray paint. Although I’ve recently started using oils in my work and I have fallen deep, deep in love with them.

Are you self-taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?I’m a self-taught artist. I think it has allowed me to make a TON of mistakes. I know so much about what NOT to do that it makes it easier to find what to do. I haven’t had anyone tell me how I should paint, what I should paint about and that I could or couldn’t do something. I’m free.

Who would you most like to meet living or dead and why?
Im going to have to pick 2. Andre3000 and Mike Patton. My 2 top musicians. If I could only listen to 2 artists for the rest of my life it would be these guys. These guys inspire me EVERY TIME I hear their music. They are not afraid to do anything, be weird and put themselves WAY out there. They are creative geniuses.

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
I like to bother my friends with toilet humor, bad jokes, insults and inappropriate pictures. I’m a dancing fool, ANY chance I get to hit that dance floor I’m on it. Adventures! Did I mention Dancing?

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
I was lucky. I had a good friend push me to paint while I was living with him. I started and I started to get pretty good in a short amount of time. I learned to believe in myself and through some pretty tough criticism I learned to let go of what other people thought. I do this for me. But I had to learn that after seeking approval form others for so long. As far as putting myself out there I just thought what have I really got to lose? If not now, when?

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
The sooner you don’t give a shit, the better. The sooner you learn to not judge your work until it’s actually finished the better. Go find people to create with. Be prepared to be let down by the artists you look up to and don’t take it personal. You will be told your work isn’t worth it. You will be told your work is the best someone has seen. Take it all with a grain of salt and work for you. Get weird, freak out, paint in the dark or with your eyes closed. Look up every frickin artist that sparks the slightest interest in you. Try everything at least once. Don’t settle because you don’t think you can do it. And ABOVE ALL have a good time on this long journey as an artist. There is no finish line so stay steady strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment