Sunday, October 21, 2012

Rene Lorraine


Name: Rene Lorraine
Website: www.renelorraine.com



What do you do?
The easy answer is simply that I create. The more interesting answer is that I make all sorts of art in different mediums. My work strongly focuses on the human figure, however each series severely varies in theme. I am currently embarking on a new body of work focusing entirely on vision loss associated with migraines and abnormal brain functions.

Where can we find your work?
You can find my online portfolio at www.renelorraine.com. I also have an online storefront at http://www.etsy.com/shop/renelorraine, and currently show at KALEID Gallery in downtown San Jose. You can follow me on Twitter @renelorraine or "Like" me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ReneLorraineArt for pictures of works in progress, updates about where I'll be showing, and things of that nature.

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
Inspiration comes in all forms and to pinpoint what it is for me is nearly impossible. I will say however, seeing another artist becoming successful and "making it" can be greatly inspiring, so I try to go to as many art openings as possible when things get tough.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process? 
Learning about the technique and process of an artist is very interesting not to mention extremely crucial for the artist and some viewers, however I find them equally important as content and the finished product. Creating the work is about my soul, you having a connection with the finished product is about your soul.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
As far as artists go I absolutely love Jenny Seville, Lucian Freud, Willen De Kooning, Jasper Johns... But I get more inspiration from regular people who are overcoming hardships of any kind.

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Questions like these make my brain go blank.

When do you get your best ideas?
I take the stance of the ancient Romans.

Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love spoke at a TED Talk about nurturing creativity. If you have twenty minutes to become inspired you can find it here: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

Anyway, she talks about how in ancient Rome and Greece people did not believe that creativity came from humans. They believed that it came from some sort of divine spirit that came to you from an unknown place, for some odd reason that you would never know. In Rome, each person's creative spirit was called your "Genius."

I have found that my creative genius comes to me at the worst times. It joins me as I am sleeping, about to sleep, driving a car, helping someone move, in class listening to a lecture that will surely be on the final, in an airplane for nine hours with nothing more than a cocktail napkin and a pen, etc. My creative genius rules my schedule. She is like that amazing friend who you love like family but who only wants to play and hang out when you are busy doing something else.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Right now I am really into watercolor and microns. I go through phases where I become obsessed with a particular set of tools, use them until I get sick of looking at them, and move on. I find it very important for any artist to experiment with as many materials as they can. I feel if you get stuck with one set you hinder your creativity.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
Formally educated. If I had not gone to art school I would have never found that I was in love with watercolor portraits. I would not be as skilled as I am. And I would not have learned about all the artists I now find to be most inspirational.

What would your creative work taste like?
Once again another question that makes my brain clock out for the day.

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
I don't really like to do much else, actually.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
People find confidence in so many different ways. For me it was the encouragement from my friends and family. And if you don't try, you'll never succeed. So wherever, however, your confidence comes, take it and run with it.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?

Talk to other artists. Research other artists, past and present. Travel. Take pictures. Always carry a sketchbook with you. Try new materials. Take classes. Don't get lazy. Listen calmly and openly when someone gives criticism, and then take TIME to decide if you are taking it to heart. There is nothing worse than taking advice about your work, and then regretting it when it is too late. Be true to your art, it is your life's work.




1 comment:

  1. The pic of the girl with the glasses looks identical to my daughter. Who is she?

    ReplyDelete