Sunday, October 28, 2012

Oscar ”OscarLars” Knutsson

Name: Oscar ”OscarLars” Knutsson

What do you do?
 Artist working with acrylic/watercolor painting and graphite/charcoal drawings. I also do a lot of mixed media artworks example: Communication with tongue cut out (Watercolor and Graphite).

Where can we find your work?
 A lot of my work are entering competitions right now. I also do a lot of commission works and installing them in different places. I recently did one for Hugo Kalm from Sweden, an upcoming DJ and producer.

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
Everything and everyone inspires me. Music is one example of inspiration sources. I almost always listen to music when ideas pop into my head. When things get tough I mix myself a good drink, get a buz and just keep on working.  Eye of the tiger and never give up. I like when times are tough, that makes me feel alive and gives me more motivation to keep on pushing myself.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
 That is a hard question, I think both are very important. Technique makes people see your stuff because I think most people are drawn to things that are beautifully made. But there are millions of people out in the world that can do beautiful things and have better technique than you have. It is then you have to ask yourself, what makes you different  and unique - Your ideas.

Who are some people who inspire you and/or influence you?
 Hellenistic Greek sculptures inspire me a lot. I love the statue of Laocoon and sons. These statues also inspired Michelangelo’s David which is probably in my opinion the greatest statue ever made. I also enjoy Salvador Dalí’s work. All from paintings, sketches, sculptures to photography and clothing.
Inspiration comes more often though from people around me. Four artists that have inspired me a lot since I moved to California are Miha Sarani, JoJo Piera, Patrick “Wädl” Hoffmeister and Erals. R DelaO. These guys’ works are unique and keep pushing the limits every time I see their work. They are amazing artists and also guys I’m proud to call friends.

If you could be a fictional character who would it be?
Batman

When do you get your best ideas?
 Often times when watching movies, listening to music, hanging out with amazing artists or in my sleep.

What materials/tools do you use to create your work?
 My brain, hands, eyes and whatever tools they need to make my ideas into reality.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
I am self taught up until this year 2012 when I started studying art at Mission College under George Rivera and Mark Engel. I have always been hard on myself developing a better technique since that is what gives you the most approval from the common eye. I think what affected me most when I started studying was how important the ideas and “reason for everything” actually were.  I then started to work more with creating mind-maps and brainstorming ideas to make into artworks.

What would your creative things taste like?
The world

When you’re not creating what do you like to do?
 I work out a lot and enjoy playing board games with friends. I love going out to bars and have drink or two but also being behind the bar working and mixing drinks.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
 I’ve always been a bit weak for attention I guess. I love to make sure people around me are having a good time, because that makes me smile. My artwork might not make people smile in some cases but hopefully makes them think. As long as I can give to people what people give to me, I’m happy.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
Create so many works that you feel the burning in your hands, the itching in your eyes and you’ll see results. Be humble and invite people into your life. Some will dislike you and some will like you, accept that people will talk trash behind you back and that people will put you on display. This is the way of life as we know it, but as an artist. Often times you will notice it even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment