Sunday, February 19, 2012

Eric Belladonna

Name:Eric Belladonna
Website:
www.facebook.com/theworkoutparty
www.facebook.com/adultdnceparty
www.facebook.com/wastelandsj

What do you do? Where can we find your work?
I'm a Downtown San Jose Indie/Electro Dance Party Promoter. I'm also a Photographer and just an overall event coordinator…I love being creative and geeking out with like minds! I Have these super fun and stylish Parties throughout this awesome city… One Party is called theWORKOUT Party (with my Friends @ Agenda Lounge Downtown San Jose; First Fridays! ) and the otherADULT DANCE PARTY (with my local hero DJ BASURA…at The Blank Club; select Saturdays) I'm just the luckiest kid these days, things have gotten pretty neat, I can't even believe it! It's kinda weird actually. I'm probably in homeroom actually dreaming this up back in 2004. haha

www.facebook.com/theworkoutparty
www.facebook.com/adultdnceparty
www.facebook.com/wastelandsj

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
My BIGGEST inspiration is boredom! My whole life I was that kid that was looking out windows, pregnant with wanderlust, fantasizing about being in a better place with more excitement. My problem, much like many others, was I always wanted more and wished for everything, but I never thought to actually commit to do anything about it! As soon as I got the guts to do what I dreamt about secretly, things just kinda started developing! Its such a magical process when inspiration strikes, and I'm always looking for that next ZING! When I feel bored, I know that I'm actually just not pushing myself to do more new things! I have to remind myself a lot to keep growing!

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
When a person puts their heart into something, it always shows! It's beautiful when someone presents to you a small part of their soul. You appreciate it more, it because valuable and important. With parties it's strange to say it's an art, but it is. How do you get people to get out of their home, drive x miles, pay money and stay the whole night, even though they work early in the morning? You have to give them something they can't refuse…and we give them everything we have! There's a moment during every party where everyone is on the dance floor, so in tune with everyone around them and the music, that’s the moment we really work for, we fight for it! Everything must go perfect...

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
I'm super duper inspired by my friends! I live for them, they are so fascinating! For someone like myself, I grew up with very little friendships and acceptance for being: gay, too fat, too skinny, too tall, braces, too weird, everything that was "Me" was wrong! So I've really come to appreciate the opportunity to have sincere people who care about me…and my friends are exactly the kinds of companions I wanted: artsy, intelligent, and crazy silly! That's the kind of people I'm attracted to! What makes my events successful, in my opinion, is the people who attend; They are probably the coolest bunch of happy-drunks you will ever meet! And those are the persons I target…people who become my friends, not my clients.

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Ziggy Stardust! He's M.A.G.I.C.A.L!

When do you get your best ideas?
I get my best ideas when I'm listening to T-Rex in my room at 2am, folding my clothes and drinking green tea. Like every other old lady in town.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
My MacBook is my office…non of this would exist without it! It's super scary when I think about it…my hands just started sweating…

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
I started as a nightclub Photographer in San Francisco. 2006 I think, It was a pretty radical time for parties, and I was the Dude capturing them all, but I wanted a party to call my own! San Jose seemed like the best place to start! All though, My friends and I never thought it would actually take off, I was just being dreamy as usual!

What would your creative work taste like?
Maybe salty like sweat. Kinda gross, sorta sexy. It might also taste Fergi-licious, so delicious.

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
When I'm not being creative, I'm obsessive… I like to see other people being creative, it motivates me to be EVEN more creative. I'm such a gawker! It's weird! I love looking at creative people and telling myself I need to be on their level. I'm sick, really.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
I always do my best, my Mom would be so disappointed in me if I didn't, she's a hard working monster! My Dad to! He lives in Mexico and when I visit him and my overachieving Family members, they literally sit me down and ask me to list what I've achieved… and I'd die if I had nothing to share! They all do such cool stuff, they own Hotels, Nightclubs, Stores; they're Dancers, Politicians, Musicians, Pageant winners, Singers, Actors, and other cool stuff that makes me feel incompetent and lame. haha It's a lot of pressure…but one day, I'll show them! That's my life goal! I'm gonna buy Mexico!

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
Just do it! It's scary as hell putting yourself out for everyone to judge, but hey, at least you're doin it! I'm sure they're so many people just kicking themselves that are saying "I totally had the idea of creating electro parties in San Jose! I came up with that in 2002!" but they never did it, and then this weirdo came in and took that title right before their lazy eyes! Don't make that mistake…pretty sure it sucks.




No comments:

Post a Comment