Sunday, February 12, 2012

Deborah Anderson

Name: Deborah Anderson
Website: athousandcanes.wordpress.com

What do you do?
I would say I am a mixed media artisan but I specialize in polymer clay jewelry.

Where can we find your work?
Kaleid Gallery, Quilt Museum gift shop, Nikkei Traditions in San Jose and Triton Museum in Santa Clara.

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
I have been working with polymer clay since 1993 and am a member of the Southbay polymer Clay Guild here in San Jose. I get inspired from books, seeing other people's work and nature.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
I think both are just as important. You keep learning as you go through a process or a technique. As I go through the steps to create a finished project, the next time I make it, I may try something different.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
Pier Voulkos, Steven Ford & David Forlano & Gwen Gibson are some of the people I have taken workshops from who have greatly inspired me.

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Anne of Green Gables

When do you get your best ideas?
I get ideas when I attend a show. Whether it be a quilt show, craft faire, trade show or when I am just working and have time to play around and experiment.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Polymer clay, pasta machine, clay blade real leaves, texture stamps

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
Polymer clay has so many techniques you can try and apply to your work. I have taken classes by some instructors to learn some of them and I have taught techniques I have come up with as well.

What would your creative work taste like?
It would have texture and taste a little salty with some sweet and sour

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Travel and visit with friends, go to yard sales

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
I get so much satisfaction in creating and it has always been rewarding to me. People have been very supportive and encouraging.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
Follow your heart & enjoy



Shoe Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment