Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mike Borja

Name:  Mike Borja    
Website:  facebook.com/theartsocket
                www.Michaelborja.com

What do you do?
Right now, this very moment, I am watching a lot of Dexter and Work of Art: The Next Great Artist. The T.V. shows are connecting for some odd reason because there’s a girl named Kathryn, on The Next Great Artist who creates art that looks like blood splattered organs laying on top of white sheets of plastic. Dexter is a serial killer who kills serial killers and has a creative process doing it. Work of Art is interesting to watch because each artist has a very different art background and style. For example: graffiti, video, pop, installation, performance, and serial killers. Just kidding.
I actually get this nostalgic feeling watching the Work of Art, because it reminds me of school and being creative and experimental in a classroom with a bunch of crazy brilliant artist.
I just love being creative no matter what and where the situation is. But my goal right now is to try and push my creativity into new levels.

Where can we find your work?
You can find my work at the Kaleid Gallery in San Jose, CA.
 I’m also currently painting on an electric box on 7th & Santa Clara by City Restaurant in San Jose. Look out for a Dog House & Aquarium if you’re around the area.

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
What inspires me the most is other artist. I love seeing other people’s creativity whether it be art, music, performance, and poetry; and it inspires me to be creative. The best reference for creativity is in life and nature.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
I think they all go hand in hand, but I do enjoy technique and process.
  
Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
Right now I’m extremely inspired by Little Dragon, Case In Theory(SJ), BadBadNotGood, my girlfriend Cha, commondense.tumblr.com, David Icke, Michael Tsarion, Klaus Dona, J-Squared(SJ), Mars-1, cleanwhiteshirt.com, music, the flea market, mom, dad, astronomicalkid, and those are some of the things off the top of my noggin .
Oh, also Jiddu Krishnamurti who is a super far out thinker. I believe the character, Yoda from Star Wars is somewhat based on Krishnamurti. If you listen to his audio lectures they sound very alike. Also, I found out recently that George Lucas created a little documentary on Krishnamurti and put his actual character in, “The Young Indian Jones” series. Look him up.
This is my art inspiration website. Check it out. https://gimmebar.com/user/mikeborja/collection/art-inspiration

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Spiderman

When do you get your best ideas?
I wait for an AHA! EUREKA! moment from deep in the collective subconscious.  

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Right now I’ve been collecting a bunch of tools, but I’ve been spending more time on the computer!?

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
I was self taught as a kid. I used to go to libraries and grab all the how to draw books and have drawing sessions with my cousins. Mario paint was the best! And then I went to school at AAU San Francisco and did New Media for a couple years and then decided to get into Fine Arts.

What would your creative work taste like?
More like what it would smell like…Mr. sketch markers, sharpies, scratch and sniff stickers,

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Eat! There is eating in creating haha.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
I always loved visually expressing myself be it through the body, on paper, through music, and video. my mom always loved my stuff, which gave me confidence to put it out there.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?  
If you have a creative thought or an idea, start creating it right away or else that excitement will make you feel like you already did it and you’ll end up not doing it. If you have had thoughts (like I once did) that say, it’s too hard, you can’t do it, I’m not good enough, there are others way better than me… don’t listen to them and just watch them pass on by.
Those are creative inhibitor thoughts that like to keep you busy and distracted in your mind. Just start creating something with any tools in front of you and keep doing what you’re doing! You can use your imagination to be creative in the craziest ways. Also, do you research on other artist to inspire you. Create and represent your vision!
Forget thinking about what you’re going and have to be in the future. I mean there’s nothing wrong with having a little thought of the future, but now is the time of all possibilities which creates your past and your future at the same time.


1 comment: