Sunday, April 8, 2012

Yao-pi Hsu


Name: Yao-pi Hsu

What do you do?
After 34 years in bioscience research, I retired and now pursue photography.

Where can we find your work?
- A member of Los Gatos Museum Gallery: 24 N Santa Cruz Ave, Los
Gatos CA.
- Main Gallery of Pacific Art League, Palo Alto, CA.
- Annual group shows of Santa Clara Art Association, Fine At League of Cupertino, Allied Artists West,
  Pacific Art League.
- Summer Fair at Triton Museum, Santa Clara.
- Many community exhibition sites.

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things
get tough?
The joy and reward of being in the right place, at the right time to freeze the moment and to capture the beauty of our surroundings are invigorating. I delight in capturing the extraordinary beauty of an ordinary subject and in creating something new that is already there. After more than ten years of photography, I have no problem lacking motivation or inspiration, the only frustration I have is the lake of time.

What do you think is more important content/finished product or
technique/process?
I think the content/finished product is more important than the technique/process. I view photography more as a form of art. By all means technique is important in the beginning to build skills for higher quality work.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
Ansel Adams, Art Wolfe and many world famous photographers just to name a few, their work inspires me. The instructor who influenced me the most is the late Tom Sparaocino, a tenured professor of San Jose City College. He also taught art classes at adult education for Santa Clara Unified School District for 25 years. I studied with Tom for fifteen years until his death last year. I learned basic painting techniques of various mediums and he shared his knowledge of photography with me. I valued his guidance, encouragement and feedback .

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
I don’t know.

When do you get your best ideas?
The best ideas come at different times and occasions: observing nature, talking to artists, and viewing many different artists’ work, driving in the car...etc.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Cameras, computer and Photoshop.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has
influenced or affected your work?
I got my MS degree from UC Davis and worked 34 years in the bioscience research field. When I was young I liked drawing and art, but career and family took my time. After my two daughters left home and I retired I began exploring visual media. My two award winning photos from a trip back to China inspired me to pursue photography. Although not formally educated in photography, I’m self-taught and have attended a six month correspondence class from New York Institute of Photography. Art and science each take a turn in how I understand the world around me. As a fine art photographer, I apply the same principles I used in scientific research: search and research, examine and reexamine, and explore concepts from different perspectives. I explore the world around me, as I look for a reflection, angle or perspective that represents how diverse and abundant the world expresses form and beauty.

What would your creative work taste like?
Lots of my fans told mythat my photos look like painting. I want my photos to evoke viewers the feeling and emotion that I experienced.

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Knitting, crochet, crafts, visiting daughters, grandkids and travel.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence
to put it out there for everyone to experience?
First and most important is to have passion in what you are doing. In the first few years of photography, I concentrated on learning and sharpening my skill. Once I got comfortable with my skill, creative ideas emerged. In my first creative work, “Profound Memory,” I combined seven layers of photos. This piece got the Award of Excellence in photography from AVArt Fest at the Triton Museum.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
Follow your instinct and intuition, if you like the process and you like the product, go for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment