Sunday, June 10, 2012

Floy Zittin


Name:  Floy Zittin
Website: www.floyzittin.com

What do you do?
 I paint watercolors featuring birds.

Where can we find your work?
 My work is shown locally at ViewpointsGallery in Los Altos and at Studio Seven Gallery in Pleasanton.

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
 I consider myself a naturalist as well as an artist and I am continually learning new things about plants and animals through painting.
      
What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
 I enjoy the process of painting.  My paintings evolve as I work on them and can go in unexpected directions. Sometimes these are disasters but I enjoy the journey.
   
Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
 I am inspired by Japanese and Chinese ink paintings   

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
no idea

When do you get your best ideas?  
 Watching birds in my backyard or hiking with my husband

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
 I have been experimenting working with watercolor on a variety of surfaces.  For several years I was working on canvas and I am now experimenting painting on wood panels.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?  
My formal training was in biology but I studied watercolor technique under Jane Hofstetter and taken numerous workshops.  It took a while to gain confidence because I did not have a formal degree.

What would your creative work taste like?
 Fresh produce or something earthy like mushrooms.

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Travel, hike, birding.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience? 
I began working as a scientific illustrator and later moved to selling my own creations.

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?  
The more you paint the better you get and the process of learning can be a lot of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment