Sunday, June 24, 2012

Joan Tesauro


Name: Joan Tesauro
Website: www.getbackjojo.com

What do you do? I am an interior decorator/designer

Where can we find your work?
On my website, Pinterest, Facebook , homes, restaurants ,boutiques and salons all over the Bay Area

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
 I really love what I do. I have the opportunity to meet interesting people, be creative and bring positive change. Whenever I get a new client and I am invited to see their homes I am so excited to start the process and find out about their likes and their family and come up with a concept based on their lifestyle.  I see new products every day and I can always find the right place to display it. When things get tough I keep working on myself: I use the down time to try and work on things  I can’t always get to when I am really busy. That keeps me sane and by the time I am finished doing that kind of stuff, a new client turns up and I am ready to work and organized!

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
Ultimately the finished product should reflect what my clients should have and what is proper for their space. I can’t imagine how awful it would be if they were unhappy with the outcome. The process of getting to that point is important but because most of my clientele are working , busy parents they aren’t experiencing everything that I do behind the scenes.  For what I do the finished result is most important.

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
My inspirations come from my childhood idols: tv shows, movies, and characters of fiction. Sometimes when I am designing a room I say it is going to be GONE WITH WIND DRAPES or GREAT GATSBY CONSERVATORIES. My ultimate no holds barred design inspiration is I dream of Jeannie meets Mary Richards. I remember how they lived and what their spaces look like and I love it!  I continually attend seminars, continuing education and hear what other designers have to say about how they work and I am always so rejuvenated by hearing others and their stories. 

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Jeannie from I DREAM OF JEANNIE, great bottle to be locked up in, great outfit and pretty cool tricks!

When do you get your best ideas?
Ideas come to me at all different times. Sometimes if I tune everything out and just absorb natural sounds around me and stop thinking about the work I can relax and be more creative.

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Through the years I have kept an arsenal of design resources from fabrics, paint tabs, tear sheets of furniture and lighting that I love. I must say I really have a thing for beautiful fabrics and wall paper and I try to use those whenever I can.

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
I have a formal education in Design: I studied throughout High school; going to art and design classes on weekends and in the Summer. I studied painting and design in Florence Italy, The wonderful thing about formal education is you are required to take all sorts of art, and design classes, which just makes you that much better at what you do. I learned how to mix paints, and I learned how to dye fabrics and make paper. I had to learn about composition, space, and color plus you get to attend critiques and get critiqued by your peers and trained professionals. I graduated from Syracuse University with a degree in Surface Pattern Design, enabling me to get employment immediately following graduation.  My first job out of college was in the fashion industry in NYC ,designing fabrics for swimwear, active wear and lingerie. No education like that. During that time I learned about business and how a business should run.  From that experience I gained a sense of urgency, that time is of the essence and clients appreciate when I respect their time and I love it when people respect mine. All these factors and experiences made the transition into interior design smooth and perfect for me.

What would your creative work taste like?
Hot buttered rum…tasteful,  smooth with a bit of a kick

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Spending time with my husband, I love listening to live music, eating good food, travel, hanging out with friends and my guilty pleasure watching  reality tv with my two cats.

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience? 
I was very fortunate to have people in my life that supported me and my endeavors.  I attended schools that had great art programs with amazing teachers who were very caring and honest. I have had the pleasure of working with some fun clients who have given me full reign to re do a room to my vision and that is always a confidence booster!

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?  
Make sure you really want to do this and if you do then go for it. Take the classes, invest in the time, absorb others that are doing the same thing, learn from them. Accept the fact that you will make mistakes but you will learn from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment