Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sean Boyles

Name: Sean Boyles
Website: seanboyles.com thearsenalsj.com

What do you do?
I paint, draw, make prints, teach others how to do the same, own an art store, drink out of a ninja cup, BBQ, play soccer, play video games, publish books, feed cats, paint murals for tons of cash, paint murals for free, paint custom jobs, paint commissions, paint what I want, illustrate, design, stay up late, wake up early, fall asleep at work, print tshirts, make stickers, make panels...handle business

Where can we find your work?
All over, but mostly around the US. Right now in San Jose, over at Current Tattooing, and on the walls in The Arsenal

What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated when things get tough?
I take on as much work as possible, so if one project starts to become more work than fun, I can just work on something else for a little. 

What do you think is more important content/finished product or technique/process?
Neither, or both. Each piece has two lives. The creation, or process is probably more important to me, than a viewer, but once it leaves my hands it's more important what it means to the viewer, than how I feel about it. Usually by the time the work is out there in the world I'm over it, but for others it's brand new, and hopefully there's something in the piece that the viewer can connect with. 

Who are some people who influence and/or inspire you?
Close friends who also make art, old timers who are still at it perfecting their craft, generally anyone passionate about their work. 

If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Bigfoot, unless he's real, then I would be the next closest thing-Chewbacca, or maybe The Incredible Hulk. 

When do you get your best ideas?
While doing things I hate, or working a shit job. 

What materials/tools do you use most to create your work?
Mostly two dimensional tools: paints, inks, pens, drawing tools

Are you self taught or formally educated? How do you think that has influenced or affected your work?
Some of both. In school I got to be around some amazingly talented professors and peers, but I also put in a ton of work by myself figuring things out, and discovering techniques. 

What would your creative work taste like?
Probably something horrible. 

When you are not creating what do you like to do?
Destroy

How did you learn to access your creative talents and gain the confidence to put it out there for everyone to experience?
Just making the type of work I enjoy, and I think when it comes to showing it's a combination of working hard, being persistent, and getting lucky. 

What advice would you give others just beginning their creative adventures?
Make stuff you like, and become the best at doing it




No comments:

Post a Comment